Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Beware of Setting Your Intention

4:20 p.m.
So. I got a flat tire today driving home from my hair appointment. I’m not five minutes away from my home, yet it will take at least an hour for the tow truck to come and change my tire.

As I sit and reflect on my current situation, several thoughts float around in my head. The first being: What the hell?!?!?! (I’m new to this yoga way of life so please forgive me). Of course, I do not have my coat (didn’t I just have this conversation with someone, didn’t someone warn me about keeping my coat in the car recently?) Those who know me best know that I abhor coats. All coats. Why I live in Chicago, I have no Earthly clue…maybe it’s to learn to live with and appreciate coats.

Getting back to my practice and the focus of this blog, I have to admit that I was calm throughout the entire episode: driving over whatever it was that caused the tire to flatten, hearing the tell-tell flapping noise the wheel made, checking the glove compartment for the roadside assistance number, and then subsequently calling them. I didn’t even lose my patience with “Bruce” as he told me it would be an hour before I would be rescued. Now, the old me would have suggested a few things to Bruce, and requested that he not waste another moment explaining the situation to me and just @!*?!+ call the towing people already... but that’s not who I am today.

I would like to dedicate this moment to the wonderful yoga practice today with Alison. Alison is in no way a frilly, fun typical workout instructor—she takes yoga seriously, and I guess that’s why I love her so. Today, at the beginning of class, she asked us to focus on our intention for the practice. At the end of the class she asked us to reflect on our intention and bring it with us throughout the day. My intention was to open myself up to life’s experiences whatever they may be. Note to self—think more positive. Who knew she would prove so prophetic, as I sit, cool now in the car, waiting to be rescued, completely open to whatever life has in store. Hey, at least I have my note book and pen (I NEVER leave home without it. My coat, who needs it? But to leave my notebook, blasphemy I say!) I’ve just passed thirty minutes, there’s hope yet—I still feel my fingers. Of course you know, all bets are off if the tow truck isn’t here by 5:20.

Ah yes, there are some of you who are saying, “just change the tire yourself.” I will reiterate: I have no coat and I know my limitations.

Tomorrow’s blog: Knowing Your Limitations

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny!!! Did this really happen to you?

Call me! Melinda

12:22 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Melinda...all true unfortunately! Not so funny at the time...kidding. Thanks for reading!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters