Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Yoga: A Non-Competitive Sport

I know, I know, Yoga is not a sport, but bear with me. What comes to mind when you think about sports? Yes, of course, competition, as it should. I played sports in grade school in Illinois: (St. Edmunds in Oak Park) and in high school (North Shore Country Day School in Winnetka). I grew up competing; one of four girls in my family, competition was imminent.

With my past, I wonder why I was so drawn to yoga as it is not at all competitive, the anti-competition even. I think now, perhaps it is because of my past experiences that I was drawn to yoga. The non-competitive nature of yoga is just one of the reasons I partake in the practice. I have found that in yoga, the only person judging me is me. That is exactly as I would have it.

Sure, there’s the occasional student in the class who tries desperately to compete, holding down dog longer than me, kicking his or her leg higher than mine, pushing deeper in their warrior pose than me. I’ve been that competitive person. Especially in the beginning of my practice and more currently against Rob, who is more limber than any man should be. Who does he think he is anyway??? “I’ll show him…” Inhale, exhale, that was then.

Today, I consider those who compete a challenge to demonstrate to myself just how far I’ve come since my first downward dog—if I notice them at all. I acknowledge that they aren’t ‘there’ yet, but in time, perhaps they’ll get 'there'. In the mean time, I’ll continue to check myself against my intention and focus inward.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen more people get hurt competing. Good for your calling it out. Cute picture!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Thanks and thanks!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters