Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

My Favorite Chance Encounter

SATURDAY'S POST...apologies for the delay

Speaking of chance encounters (yesterday’s article), let me tell you about one of my favorite chance encounters: Last Spring I followed my intuition and attended a workshop on “What Editor’s Really Want.” The lecturer (a wonderful Marcela Landres) has a newsletter and sent around a note that she was going to be in Chicago for the day (She typically holds workshops in New York). Everything was perfectly set up for me to attend this conference as I was scheduled to leave work early that day, and more importantly, I knew where the lecture was located and how to get there (all who know me, know that I’m directionally challenged). After the workshop, I introduced my self to Marcela and then proceeded to invite her to dinner.

Marcela graciously turned down my dinner invitation (perhaps guessing correctly that I planned to spend as much time as I could grilling her about this writing business), and invited me to dine with the group that invited her to speak at the conference. I thought, “Not a bad plan B!” So I considered myself invited and as I waited for all the conference attendees to disperse, I had a change of heart. Am I really going to go to dinner with these people who don’t know me? I have to pick up Blythe, can’t be late for that! Is anything going to come of this? Am I really as bold as I portray myself to be? What exactly am I doing here?

I answered no to several of the important questions, and I left. I walked all the way to my car, got on the elevator, punched 7, and when the doors opened, I let them close again. I suddenly felt compelled to be there and follow whatever led me there in the first place. So, I walked back, and met up with Marcela in the restroom. “Are you coming?” she asked, smiling brightly. “Sure. Wouldn’t miss it.”

Long story short, I pitched the novel and made a promise, “I’m going to finish the first novel by July 24th!” I did meet my deadline, and I contacted Marcela to schedule consulting and editorial services—money well spent! Marcela read Her Essence and ‘got it!’ I hadn’t expected anyone unrelated to me to connect with the book, to understand it and react as she had (enthusiastically). When we met to discuss the edits, the first thing she told me (perhaps reading me correctly as I was doubting the whole writing thng) was, "If you question for one moment if you were supposed to write...don't..."

And here we are today...stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters