Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Age Old Question

So, today’s topic is: Is love worth the risk? Because I enjoy talking to myself, I’m going to argue both points, so excuse my schizophrenia for the moment.

Love: that beautiful feeling one has that literally takes your breath away. It makes you stop and question whether or not this life, this wonderful life is indeed yours. And the person you’re in love with, could there be a better person on this planet for you? Absolutely not. He knows you inside and out and they accept you body, mind and soul…oh, and flaws…perhaps. But you definitely know and accept him. You didn’t think you could feel this way about another person that you didn’t give birth to.

It’s not that crazy, paranoid pseudo-love one engages in their teens through twenties (yep, I said it…there’s very little real/unconditional love happening before 30). No. This is an adult serious love that knocks you on your ass, and you’re okay there. You want to be there. There’s no other place you’d like to be. You love him, and you love you with him. You make each other better people. You are content with ‘you’ and therefore able to love another. And it’s him.

And then you lose him.

There could be a number of reasons: he grows ill, looses his memory, he left, he died, he found his ‘true love’ or he wasn’t ready for this type of grown up love. It’s as if your entire right side has been shaved off with an x-acto knife. Straight down the middle, starting with your heart, going down and then up. In other words…ouch.

The agony of losing love is unbearable. You’re miserable. You’re still okay with you…you know, loving yourself, confidence in tact. You know that you can meet another man and move on. But the point remains. You don’t want to. You want him. You love him. Loving unconditionally means loving without strings. When you get there, it’s not so easy to turn off those emotions. You still love him. So what do you do?

Is it worth it? It’s not to say that every unconditional love encounter will end up miserably, but let’s face it, someone leaves first. Typically.

I remember a time, not too long ago, I was traveling for business with colleagues. I’m not sure how we got on the topic, but one young lady told a story about her grandmother. On her grandfather’s death bed, she proclaimed that she loved him and would miss him, and if she had to do it all over again, she wouldn’t change a thing. My reaction startled me. I excused myself as quickly as I could and I had a quick cry. Actually, it wasn’t a quick cry. I teared up the entire flight home.

So, taking sides, I would say, that yes. I think it’s worth all the risk. What’s life without passion? What’s life if you don’t feel anything? A waste.

Thoughts?

By the way...Happy Birthday Prince. If you're reading this...I love you. Unconditionally. Call me!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love U 2 ~Prince

11:11 AM  
Blogger justacoolcat said...

I also love U Prince.

I think love is worth the risk and I selfishly hope that I check out before The Wifey.

Either way, when it's all said and done, I'm quite sure I'd do it all again.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Beautiful! Well then, kudos for you and good picking! Thanks for responding.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters