Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Another Note on Chance Encounters Signs, Intuition and the Sort

Today has been an interesting day! First thing this morning, I decided that I wanted to devote as much of the day to writing as possible…one of the latest novels (Taming Roland and About Bryant…more on those later), polish up some of my queries, or Yoga Rant articles. As soon as I turned the computer on, I heard Blythe’s tell-tell, “thump, pit, pat, pit, pat” as she made her way out of bed and down the hall. There would be no writing this morning.

I did a quick review of the news paper, pulling out the ‘Books’ section first, naturally, and Arts next, again, no big surprise there. The surprise came in the Arts lead articles: A discussion about Crash, “From crazy idea to the Oscars: The journey of Crash” (2005 movie and if you haven’t seen it…do!). The second article: “Murder, they wrote: Police TV shows are all the rage and here’s why.”

An interesting pairing I thought as I prepared to attend a yoga class. There was something for me there, as evidence of the familiar ‘ding’ I hear/feel sometimes when something relevant is about to happen, but I wanted to pace myself and engage in a bit of yoga before I started writing.

I drove to the club by rote memory as my mind was on the articles and what I was meant to read in it (both topics are very relevant to Her Essence), I absently turned the station and a song came on that solidified it for me, ‘Your Love’ by Outfield. Perhaps you’ve heard it, but you wouldn’t know by the title which I had to look up. (By the way…it took several minutes longer than I care to admit, but I digress). It’s an oldie but goodie: “da da da da da da, da da da da da … I don’t want to lose your love tonight, I just want to use your love, toniiiight” Remember now??? Anyhow, it was one of my favorite songs a million years ago, and I even remembered most of the words (the first stanza has always been da da da to me). Anyhow, I turned the volume up WAY HIGH and I got chills—no it wasn’t the base, but chills just like the ones bad books reference when the protagonist sees the killer for the first time (note to self: remove any and all references to chills).

Back to the articles! The reporter discussed the fact that people didn’t want to make Crash and even after it was completed, that studios didn’t want to pick it up. Yet today, it’s an Oscar contender. The article cites that many people wanted to distance themselves from the movie because of the racial overtones and one reviewer in particular went as far as to say that the depiction of different cultures was stereotypical. I had the opposite reaction, I was struck by the honest reactions the characters felt toward people of a different race—right, wrong, but definitely not indifferent. I felt the movie was anything but stereotypical. The second article discussed why mysteries are such a hit, to quote the first line, “Just look at the shelves of any bookstore in any airport and you see how much people love crime and mysteries, how much they love solving puzzles…”

Enter me: having just perused these articles, the chill-stirring song, on my way home from a wonderful yoga session where I felt very odd things that I will share later, surely something was about.

Now home, I have decided to stop checking my email for responses from agents, and I set up an altogether new e-mail address in an effort to not obsess. As I checked online for the title and group for the song this morning, I couldn’t help but see that I had a new email on the agent email. “Yeah, right,” I thought, but I checked it anyway despite my pledge to not obsess or check that email box today.

It was from one of my top tiered wish list agents who requested a partial (just means she approved the query and requested the first 30 pages of the novel). She says, and I quote, “I read your sample pages a couple of days ago. I want to let it sit for a day or so and then I want to reread them. I LIKE WHAT I SEE but I don’t think the material is for me. I also TOOK THE LIBERTY OF FORWARDING YOUR SAMPLE PAGES ON TO ANOTHER AGENT FRIEND who tends to handle more mysteries and thrillers to see if it might be more up her alley…” Ok, so she didn’t use caps, and she didn’t say, hey, I want to make you a client, but she didn't say please delete my address from your files. She said she liked what she saw and that she sent the pages to another agent!!!!!

Her note came through at 10:33…when I was experiencing odd feelings during my shavasana (resting pose!!!) Is it a sign? A Coincidence? Not sure, stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters