Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Lovely Compliment

I received a wonderful email the other day from someone who'd read my blog and emailed me in error. She took the time to write back and compliment me on my blog, especially the book excerpts. She said, and I quote: "Enjoyed reading your book excerpt. Hope you get it published soon!...You obviously have a gift of words."

Naturally, I was thrilled, wanting and needing that little boost of confidence every blue moon (was the moon blue this week? Must have been!)

This reminds me of a recent blog I stumbled upon back in January and felt compelled to write the author (Hey, Laure!). I'd never done that before, but I understand her enthusiasm at my response (as my response was equally enthusiastic). This writing thing is a very individual and lonely place. It's very different from Corporate America (my former life)in that there is no instant validation. It's a very different place. It makes you rely on you and only you to write the best, most authentic piece you can. The person judging the piece is you (at first, and then there are the numerous agents you're trying to entice, and then publishers and then book reviewers...the list goes on...) but in the beginning, it's just you.

It's very much the same way with yoga, group yoga anyway (as that is my only reference). It's just you and the instructor, who may issue direction, but it's up to you to feel out what that pose means to you, it's up to you to know when to pull back or push through a pose or just take child's pose (those who practice yoga, know what I'm talking about). Yoga really is all about you. As is writing. I love that! I never plan to stop...either.

Speaking of yoga, practice was still difficult Friday. Today was okay, but I could only stick around for half the class (perhaps why it was less difficult???)Really good progress on both books, Roland and Bryant. I've written several pages over the last few days. Will give official update a bit later.

Best,
Andrea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters