Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Friday, June 09, 2006

My Ascent to Darkness

Many people inquire about my ascent to darkness. How did it begin? When did it start? What were the warning signs? How do you live like that?

Well, let’s see. I’m not sure when or why it started. My best guess is I read something—information. I’m a voracious reader, picking up anything from People to the newspaper to The New Yorker and all books in between, and losing myself in it. Always finding something of interest.

I began eating fast food a lot less frequently until I just stopped completely, perhaps seven or eight years ago. After that, fried foods went to the wayside, and I never looked back. Somewhere in there, I was reintroduced to yoga *ahh, bliss (see January 29 article: Re-introduction to Yoga)*, Tai Chi Chih, and Whole Foods (organics).

I’ve always worked out, but it wasn’t until I began practicing yoga regularly that I actually looked leaner. And I just felt better—so after all that, how could I fuel up with junk?

After an unfortunate dining experience at a local Chinese ‘restaurant’ (for lack of a better word…death on chopsticks comes to mind), I couldn’t drink anything for two days and I couldn’t eat for about a week. I was sidelined long enough to pick up the one book I had been avoiding, Eat Right for Your Blood Type.

According to the book, I had to cut: red meat (no problem), dairy (sure!), oranges (see ya), potatoes (okay…), tomatoes (what! I love Italian and Mexican foods and tomatoes are a staple! And what about lycopene?), and the big three…shrimp, scallops and lobster. See why I put the book down.

Foods that were best included: pineapple, ginger, black cherries grapefruit (contains lycopene), like every vegetable imaginable, red wine (a minor victory), and green tea. And a host of other things were fine to eat in moderation. That was the banana peel as I consciously tried to cut the ‘bad’ foods. And then I decided that I should become a vegetarian~ that was best for my blood type anyway according to the book.

I flirt with it (as I tend to do) every now again, trying the vegetarian way every now again. Eventually I’ll go all the way. All of this has just become second nature, when able to, I just avoid certain foods. I feel less fatigued, and I can be up for hours without too much stress taxing me…but I always refuel on sleep, a major must.

So, why do I continue when it’s so much easier to slip into those old ways? I tutored kids in the city recently and I was constantly mistaken for a student by the staff as well as some of the actual students (see April 24 article: Another Post on Our Differences). I ran into a friend from college whom I haven’t seen since (and never you mind how long or short ago that was) and she exclaimed, “Andrea! You look great!” Twice in five minutes. (Hi Sharon! And Thanks!)

Whole check…I mean Foods weekly grocery bill: $200.00
Being mistaken for a 16 year old: worth every f'n penny

So, won’t you join me? Eat well, try yoga, play tennis (or whatever sport floats your boat) and enjoy the darker side of life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't afford to eat right - thank God! While the darker side of life sounds appealing, I'm thinking that I will stay where I'm at and gobble down more than my share of transfatty acids. =)

3:21 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Ahh Irene. Thaunks for visiting! The darker things iun life are not all so bad. And please back away from the trans fat. They're posting these amouunts on food these days! Stay healthy!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters