Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Fear Experiment

I've written about fear a few times, and I wanted to share a recent finding as it relates to fear.

I'm conducting an experiement, and instead of allowing fear to grip me, I become more aware if the initial feelings: the increased heart rate, the shortness of breath, the tensing of muscles. When I experience these sensations, I relax the tightened muscles, I force air deep down, past my lungs and into my diaphragm, and thus reclaim my breath and this automatically slows my beating heart and I am no longer fearful.

HOWEVER, as I sat in my parked car yesterday with all windows down (it was hotter than hot)with the keys out of the ignition, a huge dragonfly swooped over the top of the car. I had a clear view of it as it passed over the open sun roof top.

I remembered my experiment, as my body went into flight syndrome. I searched for my keys...I'd just had them, where'd they go? My not so little friend turned and thought it over as we stared at one another. I found the keys and pushed them into the ignition and prepared to start the car and roll the windows in one fell swoop. I relaxed my muscles, regained my breath and I remained calm. And it flew away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters