Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Respecting Diversity

Diversity is such a loaded word. As a past ‘buzz word’, it has come into its own and is now just plain loaded. You don’t know where the conversation is going to go when you hear the word diversity.

You may have to remove your earrings and prepare for battle, or simply take a deep breath and prepare to explain some things.

Diversity affects us all. I’ll attempt to explain in the most innocuous way possible. In fact, I’ll just use wine. And who doesn’t enjoy a good glass of wine now and again? What you don’t? (Heathen!)

We are all very different people on very different paths and with very different pallets. There’s nothing wrong with that…really.

But still…when I hear someone praise something like an Asti Spumanti, plum wine or (god forbid) Morgan David, two buck chuck and the like, it gives me pause. I have to remember to not look at that person as if they have three heads, ten arms, and green skin. I wonder anew why these particular drinks were created in the first place! And we all know that I have a rather vivid imagination…so to just ponder how and why is always an adventure.

Anyhow…alternately, when I expound on my fondness for dry whites, cabernets and pinot noirs, I’m quite shocked by the response from the faux wine imbibers. When I receive the ghastly three heads, ten arm green thing look—well then that’s just plain wrong. I mean, come on…I have great taste! But only for those who concur. We all just have a different pallet, that’s all. It doesn’t make us any better or worse for having evolved sooner or later…okay, that was just plain mean…to each her own!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true! We all savor different things and should. But respect is key. (I don't drink anything "pink" but have learned to tolerate those who do). Kind of. Absolutely.

Smiles to you! Nice thoughts. Cheers with my Malbec! - Laure

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters