Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Game Playing

People love games. We grew up with games. As children, we made a game out of anything: boxes, socks, paper and beads. It was creative fun. I remember as a kid, I made up a card game I called ‘slap’ with my sisters. (I’m pretty sure that was it…) anyhow, I’m claiming that as my own.

The point being, as we get older, the only thing that changes is what we play with. The game playing doesn’t just stop one day. No. It becomes a way of life in subtle and not so subtle ways. I’m always surprised by the games people play (my naiveté, I suppose.)

There are corporate games, games to illicit some one’s interest in you, there are girl friend/boy friend games, spousal games, familial games, supposed friend games, child games (and they are all childish…but in this context, games adults play with both adult and young children.)

I think…no, I know that I’m sick of all the games. I am announcing right now that I no longer wish to partake in the shenanigans…none of them. Well…maybe one. I’m going to call it the ‘A-Game’.

A-Game rules:

1. Think before you speak
2. Always speak your mind, but from your heart
3. Take responsibility for all that you say, and all that you do
4. No untruths…
5. No judgment. Accept that we’re all on different paths and everyone’s path is simply different from your own. Not wrong, not awful or destructive and stupid...just DIFFERENT.
6. Mean what you say and say what you mean
7. Be genuine
8. Aim to please, not hurt or destroy

Seems easy right? Ok then, I challenge you to bring YOUR A game. Bring your best. Only your best.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vixen said...

Andrea...you really went deep with this one. I always thought I brought my A game, but it wasn't until I met the Boyfriend that I realised that my A game wasn't even a D game. Everything on your list---everything he does even if it will cause embarassment, discomfort or pain. I know that I can trust him to always tell me the truth.

I've somehow slipped from that truthful person that I used to be. It started with white lies and grew from there. And most of all, I've realised that deception starts from within---you rationalise and deceive yourself first, and then go on...

However, I'm getting back now, taking the high road. So far, it's been very, very, very, very rocky, being true, truthful and never fake.

But at least I'm trying right?

I love this, I'm going to print it out and tape it to my mirror. Thank you.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Vixen, I'm humbled. Thank you for the comment and congratulations to you for your efforts.

Sounds like the Boyfriend is a keeper!

Best, A

6:00 AM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Hey...I wrote an article based on this for the Elexa Sexy Smart blog---check it out.

http://www.elexasexysmart.com/my_weblog/2006/11/playing_games.html

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters