Andrea Rants: Insights, Thoughts, and Opinions

MY thoughts, insights and opinions on things in MY life. I'm not asking for your judgment. Enjoy...or not.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Corporate America 12 year veteran. I've held positions ranging from Customer Service to Sr. Manager to Assistant Vice President of Marketing. Novelist. I've always written. My first book was penned (or rather, penciled) at the tender age of six, and every moment since, I have been writing this short story or that novel. My first novel is a work of fiction: Her Essence, a Mystery/Thriller. I am in the process of writing my first non-fiction book, which incorporates my life coaching methodologies and philosphies as well as other thrillers: Taming Roland, About Bryant, and the sequel to Her Essence.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Another Post on our Differences

I do believe that men and women are innately different. Even as children, girls gravitate towards flowers, pinks and purples, while boys prefer action figures, cars and trucks. Of course, this is not true for ALL girls and boys, but it IS rather standard as it's well documented everywhere and nothing new.

A difference, however, is in the way we process each other.

Within a week's time, I've been 'hit on' by a sixteen and an eighty year old. And it leaves me baffled. I'm not sure what about me says, "come hither" to BOTH a sixteen year old and an eighty year old.

The sixteen year old approached me as if it was the most normal thing in the world to come on to me. He's a student at the school where I'm tutoring math (stop laughing!) Anyhow, he never speaks, but only mutters things under his breath and gestures with his hands. Not Thursday. Thursday, he followed me into the classroom (not his period) and asked (after checking me out in the hallway mind you...) "So what takes place in this room?"

Baffled that he even had a voice and was articulate, I responded, "Math tutoring?" scrunching my nose, and hardly looking 'come hither.' He sat next to me and engaged me in conversation. Still perplexed, I stopped him mid sentence and said, "I've never heard you speak more than a few words." A teacher across the room who had witnessed this minor miracle said, "I've never heard him speak at all!"

Enough about him...on to his great grandfather...

At the healthclub, my latest hang, I stood and looked around for a particular machine when I heard a a small voice ask me, "Are you lost?"

I looked around and saw an elderly gentleman smiling at me. I'm a polite young lady, so I smiled back and said, "No, I'll find it."

My new friend decided he had selective hearing and ushered me over to the *ahem* glute machine. A machine that would hoist my bottom up in the air while I kicked my leg up...or pushed, depending on the weight...unbeknownst to me as I'd never tried it.

Naive little me thought, "Oh what a nice man trying to help me out." And then I got on the machine as he stood back and watched. "This is a good machine. I love it," he said, and I now know why, as his bottom was anything but rock hard. I was tempted to ask how often he used it.

I looked back at him and said as sweetly as I could, "okay, I got it." And I thought HE got it until I saw his hand come up to pat me. My bottom was poised eye level, and surely his target until he met my glare. He moved up and pat me on the back and said, "Have a good workout."

I discussed this with a friend, who says that large eyes are a universal symbol for friendliness or beauty...think of all the Disney cartoons, Betty Boop, etc. And I get that because children and babies LOVE me...BUT there's no mistaking a glare no matter how large or small your eyes are.

What the hey?!?!?? Can anyone shed any light on the topic? Why are men so forward? With my grand and teen, I figure one had nothing to loose and the other everything to gain...in that order. Regardless, I'm toning down the 'love' room per Feng Shui and adjusting it to about 25-45, perhaps there were some toys and let's just say, something not young in the room. More on Feng Shui discoveries later.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are men and lead by one thing alone !! That simple !

8:03 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Guess they are taking the whole 'thrill of the chase' thing to a whole new level.

Men!

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well at least you know that you've still got it!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters